For those of us who find joy in perfectly plush, line-vacuumed carpet, stains are the bane of our existence. However troublesome and tedious, it’s also inevitable that a substance other than water will find its way onto your floors.
There are plenty of commercial cleaners on the market designed for this purpose; but, many stains can be eliminated with products you probably already own. Here’s how to naturally eliminate those hard-hitting stains and return your carpet to picture-perfect.
For most stains- including marinara sauce and soft drinks- follow these steps:
- Start with two bowls. Fill one with cold water, and in the other one, combine ¼ teaspoon mild dishwashing detergent, and 1 cup of warm water.
- Soak some of the soapy solution into an absorbent cloth. Dab it onto the stain. As it begins to dissolve, dab intermittently with a clean, dry section of the cloth, and then follow by dabbing with the clean, cold water. Continue this process until the stain is no longer visible.
- Cover the area with a stack of paper towels and apply something heavy- like a pot or bowl- to the stack. The item’s weight will help the paper towels absorb any lingering moisture.
For trickier stains, such as wine, employ the following:
- Create a cleaning solution by mixing two cups of warm water with a tablespoon of dishwashing soap and a tablespoon of distilled white vinegar.
- Use a cloth to apply a small amount into the stain, and blot frequently until the stain lifts. Make sure to use a white cloth so that the pigment doesn’t bleed into your carpet.
For dark stains- like coffee- try this:
- As such with all stains, it’s important to begin by blotting up as much as you possibly can. Combine white vinegar, dish soap (one tablespoon of each) with two cups of warm water.
- Follow the above instructions of blotting with the solution, then with a clean cloth with water, and again with the solution until the stain disappears.
- Sponge with cold water to remove any lingering soap, and then blot dry.
After your successful stain-removal, you may be looking to refresh the entire carpet, or even your home. Contact The Maids, and we’ll get your home fresh and fabulous.